Saturday, February 9, 2013

Curried Sweet Potatoes with Farro, Kale, and Brussels Sprouts


Before I get on with this post, I must convey my sincerest of apologies. The last month and a half of summer was fraught with familial strife, and in an effort to deal with all that was going on, I succumbed to that terribly contagious disease known as NBN, or New Blog Neglectitis. Moving to Boston with Caufield only served to exacerbate the condition, and whenever I'd make a tasty treat or bloggable meal, I'd snap a couple half-hearted photos on my phone and upload them to my computer with the good intention of breathing life back into this here blog...and never follow up.

Now that we're both settled here in Somerville (Caufield's thriving at Harvard and I am a newly-promoted manager at a popular café near Harvard Square), I think it's high time I get back to business with Bring Her Coffee or Tea. And what better way to do that than with a tasty, healthful, and unintentionally vegan recipe to ward off winter's icy bite?


 
After we frolicked to our hearts' content in the 2+ feet of snow Nemo bestowed upon us, I was in serious need of something wholesome and filling to warm me up. I made the ignorant mistake of wearing inappropriate footwear to play in the snow and, as a result, froze my feet past the point of numbness. You'd think I'd know better after living here for almost six months, but being from the South, I admit I took the warnings about the blizzard as an overreaction. Touché, nor'easter, touché.

Fortunately, I had some sweet potatoes lying around, and a stash of farro in the cupboard. What I love about this meal is how simple it is -- simple, yet satisfying. I CANNOT get enough Brussels sprouts. They're so hearty and wonderful, the epitome of winter comfort food for me. Also, I think that maple and curry are my new favorite flavor pairing.


Maple Curried Sweet Potato and Brussels Sprouts
enough for one hungry and mildly frostbitten soul
6-8 Brussels sprouts, cut in half
1 sweet potato, diced
1 1/2 tsp good maple syrup
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp curry powder
tiny splash of olive oil

Heat olive oil in pan over medium heat. Add the sweet potato, sprouts, and other ingredients, cooking until potato is fork-tender. Serve with farro and wilted kale and you've got yourself a warm fuzzies-inducing meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment